Last Updated on August 11, 2021
Did you just discover that your new/old computer is suddenly showing errors such as 5GHz WIFI Not Showing Up or 5Ghz WIFI is disable, and windows cannot connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi. These are very common issues when connecting to the internet. This issue usually occurs when you change your WIFI router, update your OS or change your wireless adapter card etc. The most common reason of 5GHz Wi-Fi Not Showing Up is when user buys a new router but don’t worry We will go through other reasons as well. When you buy a new wireless router, you need to set it up for the first time , your computer/laptop’s wireless adapter fails to recognize the 5GHz and only recognizes the 2.4ghz signal, leading you to the problem of 5GHz Wi-Fi not showing.
Reasons for 5GHz WiFi Not Showing Up on Windows 10,8,7
Here are a some of the reasons why your WiFi is not showing up:
- Your computerlaptop does not support the 5GHz bandwidth
- The router you have does not support the 5GHz bandwidth
- The Router/Computer settings are not configured to enable 5GHz Bandwidth
- The WiFi Drivers are outdated due to which 5Ghz is not being recognized.
How To fix 5GHz WIFI not showing error in Windows 10
There could be multiple reasons for this issue of 5GHz WiFi not found error in Windows 10. Lets get right into solving this problems :
Method 1: Check if your WiFi router is supports 5GHz bandwidth to fix network not showing up error
You need to check and verify if your router is compatible with the 5GHz bandwidth. To check thist you need to do a little research on the internet about your router model. Else you cancheck the box or in the manual which comes with the box. If you cannot find the box of your WIFI you need to type the router manufacturer name along with the model number and google will show you the exact information you are looking for. If your router supports the 5ghz bandwidth all you need to do is activate it as per the below methods. If your router does not support the 5GHz bandwidth then the only option is to get a new one and then configure it else you can only use the 2.4 GHz bandwidth.
Method 2: Check your Computer for 5GHz compatibility to fix 5ghz WIFI not showing error
Let’s check if your computer and the router is compatible with the 5G bandwidth or not. To check the compatibility you need to go through these steps:
To check the compatibility you need to go through these steps:
- Open the Run Dialog box by pressing the combination of Windows + R keys
- In the Run box, Type cmd to open the command prompt
- Type the following command in the command prompt “netsh wlan show drivers” and press enter
- This command will show you the properties of your WIFI Lan driver.
- You will see lot of data related along with the radio type of your Computer
You will see your radio type as of one of these three types of WiFi network modes which are listed below:
- 11g 802.11n: This radio type supports 2.4GHz bandwidth.
- 11n 802.11g 802.11b: This radio type only supports 2.4GHz bandwidth with a better speed.
- 11a 802.11g 802.11n: This radio type supports both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bandwidth.
If your radio type matches 11a 802.11g 802.11n then you are good to else your computer’s WiFi adapter doesn’t support the 5GHz bandwidth and you won’t be able see it in your Networks pop up.
Method 3: Enable the 802.11g 802.11n 5GHz Mode on the WIFI adapter
Now that you have verified that your router and computer both support the 5GHz WiFi and the problem is still now solved, Just follow the below steps to fix the 5GHz WiFi not showing issue :
- Go to the Device manager after pressing the combination of Window + X
- Once the device manager is open, Navigate to the Network Adapter section
- In the Network Adapter settings, expand the selection and search for the Wireless Adapter
- Right click on the Wireless Adapter settings and select properties
- The properties menu of the WIFI adapter will open up, open the advanced tab.
- In the advanced section, search for the 802.11n mode and change the value to enable and press okay
Now just reboot your PC and check if you can find the 5ghz or 5g connection is present in the list of the WiFi connections. If still not working then it might be problem with the drivers else you need hardware change. Let me know if this worked for your problem.
Also Read: Whatsapp Web to Work without Phone in 2021