While the Aadhaar card is one of the most-used identification documents for KYC verification in India, the UIDAI recently issued a statement advising citizens to use a masked copy of their Aadhaar cards to protect sensitive information from organisations that might misuse them. So, if you wish to know what is a masked Aadhaar card and how you can download your own masked card, Check out the details below to know more!
Masked Aadhaar Card: Explained (2022)
A masked Aadhaar card is essentially the same as a regular downloaded e-Aadhaar card, but with a part of your Aadhaar number hidden to protect your privacy. The first 8 digits of your unique Aadhaar number are hidden and marked with an “x”. The masked Aadhaar card only displays the last four digits of your Aadhaar number.
However, it is worth noting that other than the first 8 digits of your Aadhaar number, no other information will be masked on this special Aadhaar card. Hence, your picture, DOB, address, and other details will still be visible in the digital copy of your masked Aadhaar card.
Speaking of the validity of a masked Aadhaar card, it is just as valid as a regular Aadhaar card, and you can use it for KYC and eKYC verifications. It is important to note that the information displayed on a masked Aadhaar card is the same as a regular Aadhaar card, except for the first 8 digits. And in most cases, companies only require the name, address, and DOB of an individual KYC verification rather than the Aadhaar number.
So, if you are wondering whether you can use a masked Aadhaar card in your future KYC/ e-KYC verifications, you can very well do that. In fact, we suggest you only use the masked Aadhaar card from now on to keep your Aadhaar number private and prevent its misuse.
How to Download Your Masked Aadhaar Card
- Open the myAadhaar website on your laptop or desktop using your desired web browser.
- Log into your Aadhaar account using your Aadhaar number and an OTP that you will receive on your registered mobile number.
- On your myAadhaar Dashboard, click the “Download Aadhaar” option to initiate the download process.
- Now, on the preview page, you will see a “Do you want a masked Aadhaar?” option at the top. Select the checkmark to download a masked Aadhaar card.
- Now, click the “Download” button at the bottom to get your masked Aadhaar card.
The masked Aadhaar card will be downloaded as a password-protected PDF file. You can access it by entering the first four letters of your registered name (all capital) and the birth year of your registered DOB.