Let’s learn how to pair an Echo Dot via Bluetooth, with instructions for placing a Dot in pairing mode and then pairing to a phone or a Bluetooth speaker.
How Do I Pair Amazon Echo Dot ?
You can pair the Amazon Echo Dot via Bluetooth to phones, computers, tablets, and other devices with the ability to connect to a Bluetooth speaker. When you pair it in that manner, the Echo Dot acts as a wireless Bluetooth speaker for your phone or other devices. This function is helpful if you have a music streaming service you want to listen to on your Echo Dot, but Alexa doesn’t support it.
In addition to acting as a wireless speaker for other devices, you can also pair an Amazon Echo Dot with another Bluetooth speaker. When you pair it in that manner, the Echo sends its audio output to the other speaker via Bluetooth and doesn’t use its built-in speaker. Doing this is helpful if you have a higher-quality sounding Bluetooth speaker compared to the built-in Echo speaker.
Regardless of which type of connection you want to use, the process is similar. You need to place both the Echo Dot and the other device into pairing mode and then connect through the Alexa app on your phone.
How Do I Put My Echo Dot in Pairing Mode?
There are two ways to put an Echo Dot into pairing mode: the Alexa app on your phone or a voice command. To establish an initial connection, you need to put the Dot into pairing mode via the Alexa app and then use the app to select the device you want to pair.
After establishing that initial connection, you can reconnect your Dot and previously paired device by using the voice commands, “Alexa, pair,” or “Alexa, Bluetooth.” These commands are interchangeable, and both cause your Dot to enter pairing mode and re-establish a connection with a previously connected device as long as it’s nearby and has Bluetooth turned on.
Here’s how to pair an Echo Dot:
- Put your Bluetooth device in pairing mode.
- Android: Swipe down from the top of the screen, then tap the Bluetooth icon if it isn’t already on.
- iOS: Settings > Bluetooth > tap the Bluetooth toggle if it isn’t already on.
- Bluetooth speakers: Procedures vary. May enter pairing mode automatically, or you may need to hold the power button, play button, or another button combination. Contact the manufacturer if your speaker won’t enter pairing mode.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone. (iOS or Android)
- Tap Devices.
- Tap Echo & Alexa.
- Select your Echo Dot.
- Tap Bluetooth Devices.
- Tap Pair A New Device.
- Wait while the Alexa app looks for available devices.
- Tap the phone, speaker, or another device you want to pair.
- If the pairing is successful, the device you chose will appear in the paired devices list.